Living in a privately rented property enables you to decide exactly where you live and with whom. Most students choose private rented accommodation from their second year of studies onwards, but some freshers also prefer to live independently from the start.
- Full independence: You’re in charge of exactly where and with whom you’re living
- Space: You may find you get more a bigger room and more space than you would in student halls
- The opportunity to live in a smaller, close-knit environment
- You may have to live further away from the College, depending on your budget
- You’ll need to budget carefully to manage your bills (gas, electricity, WiFi, water, etc.) and there is a lot of administration involved
- You’ll have to deal with a landlord or agency to solve problems, there is no-one on site to help you
- Varying standards of accommodation and landlords