Download your Degree Introduction and Reading List
Law LLB (single honours) Course Booklet
Law Major Course Booklet
Minor Reading Lists
- Gombrich, E. H. (2007). The Story of Art, 16th edition, New York: Phaidon
- Kirby, J (2011). A Closer Look – Techniques of Painting, London: National Gallery.
- The Creative Writing Coursebook: Forty Authors Share Advice and Exercises for Fiction and Poetry, ed. by Julia Bell and Paul Magrs (London: Macmillan, 2001).
- The Making of a Poem: A Norton Anthology of Poetic Forms, ed. by Mark Strand and Eavan Boland (New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2001).
- Andrew Cowan, The Art of Writing Fiction (Harlow, England; New York: Longman, 2011).
- Rib Davis, Writing Dialogue for Scripts: Effective Dialogue for Film, TV, Radio and Stage (London: A&C Black Publications, 2008)
- How to Write Good Programs: A Guide for Students by Perdita Stevens.
- Python 3.8, should be downloaded in preparation for the Programming with Data course.
- The basics of Python are taught through practical exercises on the Code Academy.
- Python Data Science Handbook by Jake VanderPlas
- The Anaconda Data Science toolkit
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to Python! Best Practices for Development by Kenneth Reitz and Tanya Schlusser
- Stack Overflow is a recommended forum to help solve problems with Python
- Frank, R. (2008), The Economic Naturalist: Why Economics Explains Almost Everything, Virgin Books.
- Goodwin, M. and D.E.Burr (2012) Economix: How Our Economy Works (And Doesn’t Work), Abrams ComicArts.
- Raworth, K. (2018) Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st Century Economist. Random House.
- Klein, N. (2015) This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate. Penguin.
- Mazzucato, M. (2018) The Value of Everything: Making and Taking in the Global Economy. Allen Lane.
- Claudia Rankine, Citizen
- William Shakespeare, Henry V
- Danez Smith, “summer, somewhere”, from Don’t Call Us Dead
- Y.N. Harari (2014), A Brief History of Humankind. London: Harvill Secker
- Simon Blackburn (1999), Think
- Iris Murdoch (1970), The Sovereignty of Good
- Bernard Williams (1972), Morality: An Introduction to Ethics
- Daniel C. Dennett (2013), Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking
- Amia Srinivasan (2021), The Right to Sex
Politics & IR
- Dryzek, J., Honig, B. and Phillips, A. (2008), The Oxford Handbook of Political Theory. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Waltz, Kenneth (1959), Man, the State, and War New York: Columbia University Press.
- Either Mingst, K.A, Snyder, J.L., McKibben, H.E. (2019), Essential Readings in World Politics, 7th edition (New York: Norton)
- Baylis, J., S. Smith and R. Owens The Globalisation of World Politics. 8th Edition (OUP, 2019) (textbook in use).
- Nicky Hayes (2011), Psychology Made Simple: Flash
- James Kalat (2011), Introduction to Psychology
- Ellen Pastorino and Susann Doyle-Portillo (2010), What is Psychology? Essentials