Student Halls

We recommend living in student halls in your first year at NCH so that you can experience the support and fun of living with fellow students, and have a ready made group with whom to get straight into the swing of living independently and London life. Each of our halls has a secure entry system, CCTV and is staffed 24 hours a day, providing you with reassurance and support if necessary. Another benefit of choosing halls is that the rent is all-inclusive meaning that you won’t have to worry about setting up and paying numerous utility bills in your first year.

You can find more details about our halls here, and we’ll send you booking instructions once you have accepted your offer to study at NCH.

What to Bring?

Student halls will come fully furnished; however you will need to bring your own linen (bed sheets and towels) and kitchen crockery. Some halls provide duvets and pillows, however some do not. Make sure you check with your halls before coming.

We also suggest bringing a few items, such as pictures and keepsakes, to make your room feel more homely.

Private Accommodation

If you are looking for private student accommodation, one of the best ways is simply through word of mouth, as this way you are not likely to incur any charges, often associated with housing agencies. Students will use methods such as Facebook when advertising rooms, so be sure to check your social media. Shared accommodation can also be found on SpareRoom.

Private accommodation can be advertised as furnished and unfurnished, so please make sure you know what is included when agreeing a tenancy

If you wish to use a housing agency, please be aware that you need to pay a commission charge, which varies from agency to agency. Most private accommodation will require a deposit, which can be anything from two to six weeks’ rent.


When agreeing a tenancy, you will be required to sign a legal housing contract. This protects both tenant and landlord – please make sure you read all the information carefully and to clarify any points that are unclear.


Once in private accommodation, you will also need to contact the water and gas/electricity providers and provide your new information and meter readings.

Contact your landlord for information on the current utility suppliers for your accommodation.

Council Tax

Council tax is levied on households by local authorities in Britain, based on the estimated value of a property and the number of people living in it.

Students are usually exempt from Council Tax. Make sure you get a student council tax exemption letter from Emma Norman in Student & Academic Services.

Waste and Recycling

Check with your local council about which days you can put your bins out.

Recycling is not a legal obligation, however it is widely used in the London boroughs. Please check with your local council the recycle days for your area and the colour codes of the bins.