Applications open for 2019/2020 entry Apply now.

Housing in London

We recommend living in student halls in your first year at NCH so that you can experience the support and fun of living with fellow students, and have a ready made group with whom to get straight into the swing of living independently and London life.

Each of our residence halls has a secure entry system, CCTV and is staffed 24 hours a day, providing you with reassurance and support if necessary.

Another benefit of choosing halls is that the rent is all-inclusive meaning that you won’t have to worry about setting up and paying numerous utility bills in your first year. You can find more details about our halls on our website, and we’ll send you booking instructions once you have accepted your offer to study at NCH.

NCH student halls

Furnished and unfurnished Student halls will come fully furnished; however you will need to bring your own linen (bed sheets and towels) and kitchen crockery.

We also suggest bringing a few items, such as pictures and keepsakes, to make your room feel more homely. Private accommodation can be advertised as furnished and unfurnished, so please make sure you know what is included when agreeing a tenancy

See NCH student accommodation options

Searching for accommodation

If you are looking for private student accommodation, one of the best ways is simply through word of mouth, as this way you are not likely to incur any charges, often associated with housing agencies.

Students will use methods such as Facebook when advertising rooms, so be sure to use social media! Shared accommodation can also be found via

If you wish to use a housing agency, please be aware that you need to pay a commission charge, which varies from agency to agency. Most private accommodation will require a deposit, which can be anything from two to six weeks’ rent.

Rent and living expenses

This is a rough guide to how much you might expect to spend on a weekly basis during your time in London.

Aside from accommodation, living expenses will generally take up the majority of your budget. Of course, this is entirely dependent on the kind of lifestyle you lead and the amount of money you like to spend.

There is a perception that London is more expensive than other cities in terms of living costs. This can be the case, but there does tend to be some degree of exaggeration.

Our Student Support Team will always be on hand to offer advice and to help you to keep your finances in check, and will keep you updated with all the very best deals this amazing city has to offer.


When agreeing a tenancy, you will be required to sign a legal housing contract. This protects both tenant and landlord – please make sure to read all the information carefully and to clarify any points that are unclear.


Once in private accommodation, you will also need to contact the water and gas/electric providers and provide your new information and meter readings.

Water – Thames Water


There are many providers, such as EDF Energy and EON, but if you can shop around, this is very much advised as tariffs rates can vary greatly. You should speak with your landlord for further information.

Registering with your local council

You will need to register with your local town council when moving into private accommodation. This can be done via the telephone, but all residents must be registered with full names and dates of occupation. You can find your local council and contact details via the website:

Council tax

Council tax is levied on households by local authorities in Britain, based on the estimated value of a property and the number of people living in it.

Students are usually exempt from Council Tax, and you can get a student council tax exemption letter from Emma Norman or Antoinette Guest in the NCH Student Support Office.


Although recycling is not a legal obligation it is widely used in the London boroughs. Please check with your local council the recycle days for your area and the colour codes of the bins.