Applications open for 2019/2020 entry Apply now.

Registering with a General Practice

We recommend you register with Holborn Medical Centre, the College’s General Practitioner’s Surgery (GP). You can register with the GP free of charge and it is a simple procedure which will take around 30 minutes.

You will be asked to complete a form providing your personal details, and to provide a form of photographic ID and proof of your address (e.g. your contract with your halls of residence).

We advise your to register as soon as possible after you arrive in the UK, especially if you require repeat prescriptions or frequent medical attention. If you are not a UK, EU or EEA citizen, you may need to pay a healthcare surcharge (called the ‘immigration health surcharge’ or IHS) as part of your visa application.

We’ll email you more information about this when it’s time to apply for your visa.

European Health Insurance Card

The EHIC is issued free of charge and is valid throughout the EEA and Switzerland.

The card allows you access to state provided medical treatment (sometimes free or at a reduced cost), while temporarily staying in a member state. You will need to apply for an EHIC in your home country before coming to the UK; please consult your relevant Department of Health for further information on this.

For more information on health care for foreign students, please refer to


Dentistry in the UK is not free.

You can register with any dentist of your choice. Some dentist surgeries accept both NHS and private patients. You will need to complete some simple registration forms at reception.

Private paying patients will obviously receive faster and more convenient appointment times, with the option of booking on a Saturday.

NHS patients will often wait a little longer but treatment is not inferior. NHS dentist patients will receive subsidised prices; however, you must be aware that treatment is not entirely free. A standard NHS check-up will cost around £18.50.


Opticians’ services are also not free in the UK.

We recommend that if you wear contact lenses or glasses, that you update your prescription before coming to the UK, in addition to bringing your prescription information. You can find your nearest optician via the NHS website: