Applications open for 2022 entry Get in touch

Your Student Route Visa Application

All international students coming to New College of the Humanities (NCH) to study a full-time course of more than six months must apply for a Student Route visa before coming to the UK to start their course.

This is a requirement of the UK government.

Please contact our Visa and Compliance team if you have any questions about your current application or starting your Student Route visa application process:
+ 44 (0) 20 7637 4550
19 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3HH


See our FAQs on the following categories below:

  1. Your CAS
  2. Applying for a Student Route Visa
  3. Health Surcharge
  4. Other Questions

1. Your CAS

What is a CAS?

In order to apply for your student visa, we will need to provide you with a
Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). A CAS is a document that contains all the information you need to provide in order for a visa to be

You will not be able to apply for a student visa without a CAS.

What do I need to get a CAS?

In order for NCH to issue you with a CAS, you need to provide our Visa and Compliance team with copies of the following documentation:

  • Passport
  • All qualifications detailed in your offer letter with official translation (if
    applicable). Please note that your offer must be unconditional before we can issue you with a CAS
  • Deposit paid in full
  • Immigration history form
  • Bank statements showing that you can cover both living expenses
    and tuition fees for your first year. These funds must have been held in your bank account covering a consecutive 28-day period ending no more than 31 days before your visa application
  • Evidence of English Language qualifications (if specified in your offer letter). For a list of acceptable English qualifications, please see our entry requirements.

When should I apply for my CAS?

Under the new UK government rules, the earliest we can provide a CAS is six months before the start date of your course. The College’s courses
generally, start in mid-September (we will provide you with the exact date nearer the time) therefore, the earliest we can issue you a CAS will be mid-March.

Although we cannot issue you a CAS until mid-March, we strongly advise
that you contact our Visa and Compliance team as soon as you receive an
offer from NCH. In this way, we can ensure that all the necessary
information is provided to us before mid-March, so we can issue your CAS promptly.

Can I apply in the UK?

Whether you can apply for your student visa while in the UK depends on
the type of visa you are on, when your existing UK visa expires and the
time your new course starts. If your existing visa allows you to apply within
the UK and your new course of study starts within 28 days of your existing visa expiring, you can apply within the UK.

Conversely, if your new course of study starts more than 28 days after your existing visa expires or your existing visa does not allow you to apply within the UK, then you must leave the UK and apply from your home country.

How much does a CAS cost?

There is no charge for issuing you with a CAS.

Please note that there is a fee set by the UK government in order to issue
your visa – this is currently £348 if you apply for your visa outside the UK.
In addition, you need to pay an immigration health surcharge, which allows you access to the UK’s National Health Service (NHS) and is currently set at £470 per year.

Do I need to submit an original CAS with my visa application?

No, you do not need to submit the original CAS statement with your visa
application. You only need to provide the UKVI with the CAS number that we have issued for you. This will allow the UKVI to view the information we have recorded confirming we have accepted you onto your course.

We will provide you with the details of what is on your CAS statement so that you know which documents you need to provide with your visa application.

Please don’t worry about the visa application process.

Once you are at the stage of applying for a visa, we will guide you through the process and issue you with a checklist to make sure you’ve got all the documents you need.

What are the start and end dates of my programme?

These will be stated on your CAS. If you have any queries about your
course dates, please contact us.

2. Applying for a Student Route Visa

When can I apply for my Student Route Visa?

You can apply no more than six months before the start date of the course
or the date of travel. You can check visa processing times here.

Who should I contact if I want to find out more information about visas or have some questions about the visa application process?

You can call our Visa and Compliance team on +44 (0) 207 637 4550, or
email them at

They will be happy to answer any questions that you have.

What happens if I apply for a Student Route Visa abroad?

Students applying for an entry clearance to come to the UK for more than six months on a Student Route visa will be given a vignette (visa), valid for 90 days only. This will allow you to enter the UK. You must then collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from the Post Office branch you selected as part of your application no later than 10 days after your arrival in the UK. The earliest you can arrive in the UK is up to one month before your course start date.

You can enrol with the unexpired vignette; however, you must bring your new BRP card once collected from the Post Office, before the end date of your vignette.

It is your responsibility to collect the BRP card from the Post Office.

Do I have to go for a visa interview as part of my application?

Yes, possibly.

If you are asked to go for a visa interview by the UK authorities and you cannot show that your English language ability is at the correct level, your entry clearance application may be refused.

From 30th July 2012, if your nationality is not listed as one of the ‘low risk’ nationalities, you may be asked to participate in a visa interview, either in person, online or by telephone.

Do I need to send documents with my application?

Nationals of some countries do not need to provide evidence of their
qualifications or their funds when they apply for a Student Route visa.

The Home Office calls this the ‘differentiation arrangement’ for ‘low-risk
applicants’. EU, EEA and Swiss Nationals will be considered as ‘low-risk
applicants’ under the new immigration rules.

The list of differentiated nationals or low-risk country nationals
(A) a national of any of the following:

Republic of Cyprus
Czech Republic
The Dominican Republic
New Zealand
South Korea
United Arab Emirates
United States of America


(B) holds a valid passport which shows they are registered as a British
National (Overseas), or which was issued by the competent authorities of
Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR or Taiwan (which includes the number of the identification card issued by the competent authority in Taiwan).

Applicants who meet the requirements of differentiation will not normally have to submit:

  • Documents listed on your CAS letter (degree/qualification and any
    English proficiency test or qualification)
  • When applying in the UK, evidence that they have completed their
    previous course.
  • Course (this will also be noted on the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
  • English language tests or documents used by the licensed Student
    sponsor to assess English language ability
  • Documentary evidence of their funds (Financial requirements for visa click here for detailed information)

You must, however, confirm on your application form that you meet the
requirements set out in this section and that you hold documentary
evidence in the manner required. We also reserve the right to request any or all of the evidential documents from this section from you, even if you qualify for a differentiation arrangement.

Please do not submit incomplete documents and seek advice from the Visa Compliance office of the College. Your visa may be refused if you choose to submit documents not meeting the UKVI requirements.

Documents that you are still required to submit with your visa application.

Compulsory Documents:

  • Current Passport
  • Current Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card – If you are applying from within the UK for leave to remain.
  • Valid Police Registration Certificate – If you have the Police Registration Condition on your visa and you are applying from within the UK

Other Documents:

  • TB certificate – If you are from a country or have resided for 6
    months or more in a country that attracts the TB Certification
  • Financial Sponsor’s unconditional consent letter – If fully sponsored
    by a government or an international scholarship agency over the last 12 months
  • Parental consent – if you are under the age of 18 on the date of application
  • English translation – If any of the above documents is not written in the English language

3. Health Surcharge

What is the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS)?

You may need to pay a healthcare surcharge as part of your immigration
application. You will then be able to use the National Health Service (NHS).

All Student Route visa students have to pay a healthcare surcharge for visa applications made outside or within the UK.

As a Student Route visa student, you have to pay £470 for each year of
your visa. You must pay the healthcare surcharge before you submit or send your visa application (or book an appointment at a premium service centre).

Your visa or immigration application will not be granted if you do not pay the healthcare surcharge or your application will be delayed if you do not pay the right amount.

For more information on please check the UKVI’s how much to pay advice.

Do I need to have a medical check?

Students from some countries are required to provide a medical certificate
confirming that they are clear of tuberculosis.

You should check the United Kingdom Visas and Immigration website for up-to-date information on the countries that require a medical certificate as part of an entry clearance application.

4. Other Questions

Can NCH sponsor my visa application?

NCH is licensed by the UK government and listed in the student sponsor register as a sponsor with a track record of compliance.

NCH can sponsor your visa application for all of our licensed undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes.

How long will I have to decide about my offer if I get one?

This depends on when you apply.

We typically give applicants a few weeks to decide whether to accept an offer, however as we move closer to the start of the academic year, you may have less time to make your decision.

What happens if I do not enrol?

If you enter the UK on a student visa and do not enrol at your chosen
institution, you will be in breach of your immigration status. Under the Points Based System, the College will be obliged to report to the United Kingdom Visas and Immigration any student who obtains entry clearance under the Points Based System on the basis of an offer to study one of our programmes but does not enrol at the start of the course as specified on your CAS.

Students who suspend their studies or who fail to attend their classes for significant periods will also be reported to United Kingdom Visas and Immigration. This includes students who are excluded for non-payment of fees. Please note that the reporting to UK Visa & Immigration will result in a cancellation of your visa.

What if I want to cancel my place?

Should you decide to cancel your place after receiving a CAS statement from NCH, then New College of the Humanities will withdraw its sponsorship under the Student Route visa and will notify United Kingdom Visas and Immigration accordingly.

The CAS reference number will be withdrawn.

What if I need to defer my place?

Should you wish to defer your place to the next intake after receiving a CAS statement from NCH, then New College of the Humanities will withdraw its sponsorship under the Student Route visa and will notify United Kingdom Visas and Immigration accordingly.

The CAS number will be withdrawn.

You will need to obtain a new CAS number from the College at the appropriate time and make a new visa application. Depending on your reasons for deferring your place, we may or may not issue you with a new CAS.

Can I work in the UK while I am studying?

New students starting their course with us from September 2020 or onwards are allowed to work 20 hours during term time and full time during vacations.

However, students who started their course prior to September 2020 are not permitted to work in the UK. This includes, amongst other types of activities, internships and voluntary work.

Will I qualify for a two year work permit or graduate route after completing my undergraduate or postgraduate degree with NCH?

Yes, you will be eligible to apply for a Graduate Route Visa should you successfully complete your degree programme with us.

The Graduate Route will enable you to work in the UK for 2 years.