Your Tier 4 Visa Application

All international students (non EEA/Swiss) coming to New College of the Humanities (NCH) to study a full-time course of more than six months must apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa before coming to the UK to start their course. This is a requirement of the UK government.

Please contact our Tier 4 compliance coordinator if you have any questions about your current application or starting your Tier 4 visa application process:
+ 44 (0) 20 7637 4550
19 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3HH


See our FAQs on the following categories below:

  1. Applying for a Tier 4 Student Visa
  2. Health Surcharge
  3. Your CAS
  4. Other Questions

1. Applying for a Tier 4 Student Visa

When can I apply for my Tier 4 Visa?

You can apply no more than three months before the start date of the course or the date of travel. You can check visa processing times here.

Who should I contact if I want to find out more information about visas or have some questions about the visa application process?

You can call our admissions team on +44 (0) 207 637 4550, or email them at They will be happy to answer any questions that you have.

What happens if I apply for a Tier 4 Visa abroad?

Students applying for an entry clearance to come to the UK for more than six months as a Tier 4 student will be given a vignette (visa), valid for 30 days only. This will allow you to enter the UK. You must then collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from the Post Office branch you selected as part of your application no later than 10 days after your arrival in the UK.

You can enroll with the unexpired vignette; however you must bring your new BRP card once collected from the Post Office, before the end date of your vignette. It is your responsibility to collect the BRP card from the Post Office.

Do I have to go for an interview as part of my application?

Yes, possibly. If you are asked to go for an interview and you cannot show that your English language ability is at the correct level, your entry clearance application may be refused.

From 30th July 2012, if your nationality is not listed as one of the ‘low risk’ nationalities, you may be asked to participate in an interview, either in person or by telephone.

Do I need to send documents with my application?

Nationals of some countries do not need to provide evidence of their qualifications or their money when they apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa. The Home Office calls this the ‘differentiation arrangement’ for ‘low-risk applicants’. You are a ‘low-risk’ applicant if you are applying for a Tier 4 (General) visa to study at an institution that has Tier 4 Sponsor status, and you are a national of:

  • Australia
  • Bahrain
  • Barbados
  • Botswana
  • Brazil
  • Brunei
  • Cambodia
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • Dominican Republic
  • Indonesia
  • Japan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kuwait
  • Malaysia
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico
  • New Zealand
  • Oman
  • Peru
  • Qatar
  • Serbia
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Thailand
  • Tunisia
  • UAE
  • USA

To be considered ‘low risk,’ you must be applying for entry clearance in your country of nationality, country of residence or for leave to remain in the UK.

In addition, you will be considered ‘low risk’ if you are the rightful holder of a passport which has been issued by one of the relevant competent authorities listed below, and where you are applying either for entry clearance in the country or territory where you are living or for leave to remain in the UK:
  • British National (Overseas)
  • Hong Kong
  • Macau SAR
  • Taiwan (those who hold a passport issued by Taiwan that includes the number of the identification card issued by the competent authority in Taiwan).

You must, however, confirm on your application form that you meet the requirements set out in this section and that you hold documentary evidence in the manner required. We also reserve the right to request any or all of the evidential documents from this section from you, even if you qualify for a differentiation arrangement.

2. Health Surcharge

What is the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS)?

You may need to pay a healthcare surcharge as part of your immigration application. You will then be able to use the National Health Service (NHS). All Tier 4 students have to pay a healthcare surcharge for visa applications made outside or within the UK.

As a Tier 4 student, you have to pay £300 for each year of your visa. You will pay half of the yearly amount if your application includes part of a year that is less than six months. You will pay for a whole year if your application includes part of a year that is more than six months.

Please note that extra months given on your visa will also be counted.

You must pay the healthcare surcharge before you submit or send your visa application (or book an appointment at a premium service centre).

Your visa or immigration application will not be granted if you do not pay the healthcare surcharge or your application will be delayed if you do not pay the right amount.

For more information on please check the UKVI’s how much to pay advice.

Do I need to have a medical check?

Students from some countries are required to provide a medical certificate confirming that they are clear of tuberculosis. You should check the United Kingdom Visas and Immigration website for up-to-date information on the countries that require a medical certificate as part of an entry clearance application.

3. Your CAS

What is a CAS?

In order to apply for your student visa, you will need us to provide you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). A CAS is a document that contains all the information you need to provide in order for a visa to be issued. You will not be able to apply for a student visa without a CAS.

What do I need to get a CAS?

In order for NCH to issue you with a CAS, you need to provide our Tier 4 Compliance Coordinator with the following documentation:

  • Copy of your passport
  • Copy of your evidence of qualifications with registered official translation, if applicable
  • Deposit paid in full
  • Travel history
  • Copy of your bank statements showing that the relevant money has been held in your bank account covering a consecutive 28-day period ending no more than 31 days before your visa application
  • Evidence of English Language qualifications, either:

    a) an IELTS test from a UKVI approved centre with a score of 7.0 (including 6.5 in each component) or

    b) the LanguageCert International ESOL SELT C1 Expert with Pass (25/50) in all four skills or

    c) the Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic UKVI with a score of 69 overall (including a minimum of 62 in each component).

    –      You can find IELTS test centres in your country here.

    –      For information about LanguageCert, please check here.

    –      For information about Pearson, please check here.

When should I apply for my CAS?

Under UK government rules, the earliest we can provide a CAS is three months before the start date of your course. The College’s courses generally start in mid-September (we will provide you with the exact date nearer the time) therefore, the earliest we can issue you a CAS will be mid-June.

Although we cannot issue you a CAS until mid-June, we strongly advise that you contact our visa office as soon as you start your application to NCH. In this way, we can ensure that all the necessary information is provided to us before mid-June, so we can issue your CAS promptly.

Can I apply in the UK?

Whether you can apply for your student visa while in the UK depends on the type of visa you are on, when your existing UK visa expires and the time your new course starts. If your existing visa allows you to apply within the UK and your new course of study starts within 28 days of your existing visa expiring, you can apply within the UK.

Conversely, if your new course of study starts more than 28 days after your existing visa expires or your existing visa does not allow you to apply within the UK, then you must leave the UK and apply from your home country.

How much does a CAS cost?

There is no charge for issuing you with a CAS.

Please note that there is a fee set by the UK government in order to issue your visa – this is currently £348 if you apply for your visa outside the UK. In addition, you need to pay an immigration health surcharge, which allows you access to the UK’s National Health Service (NHS) and is currently set at £300 per year.

Do I need to submit an original CAS with my application?

No, you do not need to submit the original CAS statement with your visa application. You only need to provide UKVI with the CAS number that we have issued for you. This will allow them to view the information we have recorded confirming we have accepted you onto your course. We will provide you with the details of what is on your CAS statement so that you know which documents you need to provide with your visa application.

Please don’t worry about the visa application process. Once you are at the stage of applying for a visa, we will guide you through the process and issue you with a checklist to make sure you’ve got all the documents you need.

What are the start and end dates of my programme?

These will be stated on your CAS. If you have any queries about your course dates, please contact us.

4. Other Questions

Can NCH sponsor my visa application?

NCH is licensed by the UK government and can sponsor your visa application for all of our licensed undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes.

For entry to our degree programmes in September 2020, you should submit your application to the College by Friday 17th July 2020. However, we may accept applications after 17th July depending on the visa processing time of the applicants country etc.)

This is in order to provide sufficient time to NCH to process your admissions application and for you to complete the visa application process.

How long will I have to decide about my offer if I get one?

This depends on when you apply. We typically give applicants a few weeks to decide whether to accept an offer, however as we move closer to the start of the academic year, you may have less time to make your decision.

What happens if I don't enrol?

If you enter the UK on a student visa and do not enrol at your chosen institution, you will be in breach of your immigration status. Under the Points Based System, the University will be obliged to report to the United Kingdom Visas and Immigration any student who obtains entry clearance under the Points Based System on the basis of an offer to study one of our programmes but does not enrol at the start of the course as specified on your CAS.

Students who suspend their studies or who fail to attend their classes for significant periods will also be reported to United Kingdom Visas and Immigration. This includes students who are excluded for non-payment of fees. Please note that the reporting to UK Visa & Immigration will result in a cancellation of your visa.

What if I want to cancel my place?

Should you decide to cancel your place after receiving a CAS statement from NCH, then New College of the Humanities will withdraw its sponsorship under Tier 4 and will notify United Kingdom Visas and Immigration accordingly. The CAS reference number will be withdrawn.

What if I need to defer my place?

Should you wish to defer your place to the next intake after receiving a CAS statement from NCH, then New College of the Humanities will withdraw its sponsorship under Tier 4 and will notify United Kingdom Visas and Immigration accordingly. The CAS number will be withdrawn. You will need to obtain a new CAS number from the College at the appropriate time and make a new visa application.  Depending on your reasons for deferring your place, we may or may not issue you with a new CAS.

Can I work in the UK while I am studying?

Currently, due to the Tier 4 Status that NCH holds, students on a tier 4 visa are not permitted to work in the UK alongside their studies. This also, amongst other types of activities, includes internships and voluntary work.