Click here to start your application. Apply now

The Art of Letting Go

NU London | July 5, 2022

Many of us are now entering the period of the big unknown. Finishing university studies is both exciting and frightening at the same time. For those of you who are about to start, the same may apply to you too. 

On one hand, we are finishing one chapter of our lives and entering into a new one – we have the whole world in front of us. On the other hand, there is an element of mystery: where do we go next, what is it going to be like? I tend to overthink my decisions and worry about whether I have made the right choice.

I’ve always struggled with this, so recently I decided to teach myself how to break this habit. I stumbled upon various books, videos and podcasts on how to deal with anxiety and found one of the most life–changing books, called, ‘How to break the habit of being yourself’, by Dr. Joe Dispenza. I have heard about this book before, on multiple occasions, however have not got round to reading it.

At first, I thought it was going to be one of those ‘self-help’ books, where they just tell you not to worry and everything will be fine (ie. not much practical advice). There isn’t anything wrong with those books, but personally they do not resonate with me. 

Do not be deceived by the name of the book! It is based on science and explains how we can change our reality with the use of our own brain. I recommend this book to anyone who is stuck in their old habits and wants to get out of a negative mindset. Generally, it is a great read and I would recommend it to anyone interested.

Dr. Joe Dispenza is also very well-known for his guided meditations, during which you work to break old habits, which operate in your subconscious. This sounds rather complicated, however it is quite simple, as all of his meditations are guided. I’ve found that when I am consistent with my practice and meditate everyday, even for a few minutes, I feel much better – mentally and physically. Meditating helps me to ground myself and let go of all the worries.

On the day of one of my exams, I woke up feeling quite anxious, so I decided to make a conscious effort to feel better. I decided to do one of my favourite guided meditations: it’s called Heart Coherence Meditation (there are different guided versions available on Youtube). After 15 minutes of meditating, I felt much calmer and more at ease.

If you’re feeling apprehensive about your next chapter in life, whether that be starting university or like me, finishing university, I believe the best thing you can do is to learn how to let go of your worries; live in the present moment, hang out with your friends, maybe try meditating, or read a new book. I wanted to share what helps me as a student just about to finish university, so I hope this helps you too.

By Martyna P