Applications open for 2022 entry Apply now

Skills Bootcamp: Meet the Learners

NCH London | November 19, 2021

Our skills bootcamps, in partnership with ServiceNow, have been running over the last few months. We caught up with some of the learners to find out more about them and their experience of the bootcamp.

Patrick Jabati

Patrick, originally from Sierra Leone is currently working as a Project Delivery Manager/Co-ordinator for a removals company.

How are you finding the Bootcamp?

As I am currently working full time, also studying for the bootcamp has been quite challenging. I have had to find time to squeeze in the live sessions and online learning. However, this is something I am really motivated to do and having to balance work and study has helped me manage my time well. The Bootcamp Team are so helpful and Alex (the Lead Tutor) has been helping everyone get the most from the course.

Outside of Bootcamps, what are you passionate about?

I enjoy learning and believe education is the key to greatness. I am motivated and like to make sure the people around me are happy. I enjoying staying up to date with international politics, listening to music and running (when I have the time!).

Have there been any highlights of the course so far?

Yes! I previously worked as a research assistant and knew that improving my digital skills would help me overcome challenges. I didn’t know about ServiceNow before the bootcamp, but even with just the basics I have learnt, I can see it is really useful for efficiency and effectiveness.

What difference will doing the course make to you?

It has enabled me to see the bigger perspective of the digital world and how ITSM can really help you to effectively manage projects and I have already been able to apply some of the knowledge I have learnt. I am excited about seemingly unlimited opportunities that I have seen so far.

James Whitehead

How are you finding the bootcamp?

I’m really enjoying it! As someone who suffers from dyslexia, I have often struggled with bootcamps in the past as they change topics before I have had time to process my learning, however I have found this bootcamp to be well-paced and easy to navigate. Alex (the Lead Tutor) has been so helpful and seems really passionate about his students, frequently giving me lots of recommendations for further reading.

Outside of bootcamps what are you passionate about?

I enjoy learning and am very keen on bettering myself. I am extremely motivated to succeed so I try to research around the area of data science in order to upskill as much as possible. I have always had broad interests in different industries and education, in particular computers and creative graphics. I like to play with computer software and hardware to see if I can figure out how to create something that communicates ideas and concepts in the most interesting and engaging way possible.

I am inspired by nature, harmony and balance so in my free time, I often travel to different places that are steeped in history, or have a unique story, and stroll around woodland and nature paths in meditation. I also enjoy dancing and have tried to incorporate my broad interests into 3D Graphical representations.

What was your background/what had you been doing?

I was a Judo coach for 15 years, but it wasn’t a sustainable career path for me. Before I started this bootcamp, I was working in security and I realised through this that I had a broad interest in data science, but I didn’t really know how to get into the industry having no previous education or training in it.

Have there been any highlights/challenge of the course so far?

The biggest highlight, for me, was being selected for this programme. I have always struggled with my dyslexia, so it feels like such an achievement and a massive confidence boost being chosen out of so many applicants!

I think my biggest challenge has been trying to organise my time effectively, allowing myself enough  time to go through the concepts and absorb all the information before moving on to the next topic. However, the Bootcamp team and Alex have taught me how to manage my time effectively so that I am able to work through and understand topics in a timely manner.

The course will make a huge difference to me in terms of my career. I have always had an interest in data science but never thought it would be viable as a career path, however this bootcamp has provided me with multiple opportunities to progress in this field.