START YOUR APPLICATION FOR 2021 Apply

Looking After Your Mental Health

NCH Student Blog | September 15, 2020

It’s no secret that university years can be tough on your mental health.

For some people it’s the workload, for others it’s being far from home, having to make new friends and adjust to a new environment or simply just the struggle of everything being so different.

Here’s what you need to remember no matter how corny it is: you’re not alone.

You might feel like you are, because everyone else seems to have it all figured out but the truth is that most people don’t. So don’t keep your struggles to yourself, share them with friends or family. If you don’t feel comfortable with that, share them with people whose job it is to make you feel supported and strong like our Student Wellbeing Team.

Surround yourself with people who uplift you even if that means letting go of a relationship that means a lot to you. Toxic people don’t change no matter how hard you believe in that. So let go, move on, and open yourself to people who make you a better person.

Take time off. You inevitably will get caught up in the hustle. Being productive is good, but don’t forget you need time to slow down and breathe once in a while. Going on a walk or for coffee goes a long way. I’m not going to suggest meditating or doing yoga because I feel like it’s the things people scream at your face when you say you’re feeling stressed and I’m sure you’re tired of hearing it too.

I’m warning you now, the next few years of your life are going to go by so fast you might miss most of it if you don’t stop and live in the present. Remember there’s nothing scary about this exact second, your stress is created by your brain who is thinking about the future. It’s not real. It’s a lot easier said than done but it has helped me in the past so there you go.

This is entirely personal but I find it reassuring to see the tasks I have to accomplish in front of my eyes. It helps me visualize my goals for the day and when I do complete them, I feel pretty good. So I make those lists that everyone always talks about. And if I don’t accomplish everything I was planning on doing that day, it’s okay, life happens. Stop being so hard on yourself.

I guess the main thing I’ve learned is that most of the pressure I feel comes from myself. So I learned to give myself a break, because I know I’m trying my best and I don’t really owe anything to anyone (except a very large amount of money to SFE).

This is a really insane time to be going to university and it truly can be a challenge but these past few years have been some of the best of my life and I’m sure they will be just as exciting and fun for you!

Written by Pauline, currently studying Politics & IR with History BSc