START YOUR APPLICATION FOR 2021 Apply

Staying Connected

NCH Student Blog | May 25, 2020

We’ve all been stuck at home now for I don’t even know how long. It’s easy to feel lonely and scared and sometimes everything feels like way too much effort, at least for me. But a sure way to cheer me up is to stay in touch with my friends and I’m pretty sure it’s the same for you. However, just texting each other gets quite boring after a while, after all, nothing much is happening to any of us. So here are some really nice things you can do to stay connected with your friends:

1. Write some letters. Like actual letters where you put pen to paper and just start writing. Tell your addressee what a usual day in your quarantine life looks like, write down your favourite memory with them, anything that comes to your mind. It doesn’t even have to be a long letter. To be extra cute, include something flat in your letter, a teabag, an origami, a pressed flower… I can guarantee you that you’ll make your friend’s day a lot better when they start it by getting a letter from you.
  2. Have a regular date to zoom with your friend group. I zoom with my flatmates once a week where we just catch up and play games since there honestly isn’t too much to catch up on. Our favourite game is a drawing game, all you need is the Gartic.io app and you’ll have so much fun, especially if everyone makes themselves a drink before the zoom session.
  3. Study together! We all have exams at the moment, so you might as well take some of that revision time and turn it into something more fun. It’s a little tricky to have a virtual study group since you cannot really look at the same notes but it’s a good way to stay in touch with your friends and be productive at the same time.
  4. Have a themed zoom party. Regular calls are fine but think of them like the chill hangout time you have with your friends at home or in a coffee shop. Sometimes you need something a little more exciting, and luckily, the opportunities are endless. You can mix cocktails together (make sure you have all ingredients ready in front of you, it’s no fun if you have to keep getting up), have a brunch, go on a virtual museum tour (the one from the British Museum is good for some NCH feelings) or watch the live stream of a performance you might otherwise never see, like the incredible ballets from the Bolshoi Theatre. We tried a Disneyland party with costumes and the churros recipe Disney released for the first time ever!