Puff Pastry Mince Pies
- 250g raisins
- 375g currants
- 100ml brandy
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 300g shredded suet
- 250g dark brown sugar
- 85g chopped mixed peel
- 1/2 small nutmeg, grated
- 1 large Bramley apple, peeled and grated
- 1 egg
- Ready rolled puff pastry
- Soak the raisins and currants in the brandy and lemon juice for 1 hr until plumped up, then drain and set the brandy aside.
- Mix all the ingredients together in the order given, then pour in the brandy when everything else is well mixed.
- Spoon and press into sterilised jars, to exclude any air (the easiest way to sterilise jars is to run them through a dishwasher on its hottest setting).
- Cut out bases and lids from the puff pastry using the same size cutter for both.
- Place the bottom half of the pastry in the tart tin then spoon in the mincemeat (about 1 1/2 tsp per mince pie)
- Beat the egg and brush this around the edges of the open pies. Then press a lid on each pie, being sure to create a seal. Then brush some more egg over the sealed pies.
- In a pre-heated oven (180 C) cook the pies for 15-20 minutes. Leave to cool before eating.