- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g butter
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 1 free-range egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- Gingerbread cutters
- Writing icing
- Cake decorations
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon and pour into a bowl and mix.
- Add the butter and blend until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Then stir in the sugar.
- Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup together, then add to the bowl and mix.
- Tip the dough out and knead until smooth. Wrap the dough in cling film and leave to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using cutters, cut out the gingerbread men shapes and place on the baking tray, leaving a gap between them.
- Bake for 12–15 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown.
- Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- When cooled decorate with the writing icing and cake decorations.