Applications open for 2019/2020 entry Apply now.

The ‘Top 5’ of Law at NCH

Rebecca Stewart | April 19, 2018

So, what makes Law at NCH stand out?

Hey guys,

Rebecca, second-year Law student here. In the extremely competitive market of choosing where to go to Law school, even for your undergrad, it is important to understand how your Law degree is going to be taught and how your school of choice will best prepare yourself for life after your LLB.

This quick post aims to show you how the LLB at NCH is unique, not only because of the way our Law students are taught but the ways in which NCH students are provided the all-important guidance to achieve their career goals.

Our curriculum of Law at NCH

First things first: the subjects you learn. There’s not a great deal to say here, mostly because, as you’re probably aware, 8/12 of your LLB subjects are compulsory to achieve a qualifying Law degree (QLD).

However, at NCH we offer the combined honours LLB. What that means is you can leave the college with your QLD but can still enjoy a major-minor combination with any of our subjects.

In addition, we’re in the centre of London! That means not just learning about the English legal system but visiting every part of it, from County Court to the Supreme Court all within your first term!

Our teaching

So you have an idea of the subjects you can take. But the way NCH LLB students are taught is really special. Our class sizes are small. My lectures this year only have 11 students and my seminars usually only have three or four students. The best part? Every week I have a tutorial, which is just my tutor and me. Having access to academics to answer help you structure your essays and answer your burning questions about the last lecture you had together is so helpful.

Our teachers

Speaking of our academics, the Law faculty here has expertise not only in teaching their modules but as practicing lawyers.

Dimitrios Kyriazis, Head of Faculty, spent time working at Freshfields (Brussels). Stephen Dnes has worked over the years for firms in the Magic Circle, AmLaw 100, and a couple of boutiques, in Brussels, London and New York. Ursula Smartt has experience on the bench as a magistrate and Philip Hunter set up a successful firm from scratch in the 80s and 90s and ended up with a number of FTSE 100 companies as clients.

This means we’re not only hearing what the textbook says but personal anecdotes and a real insight into how the Law works in practice.

Our careers counselling

As part of our LAUNCH programme, all NCH students will meet with Ursula on a regular basis to receive personalised careers advice and supplement the skills we’re learning in our LAUNCH seminars. In my first year, I was lucky enough to be taken to the Inns of Court by Ursula, namely Inner Temple, for a tour and introduction to life at ‘the Bar.’ I also had the chance to attend a bespoke NCH visit to Reed Smith and we had a lawyer from Mishcon de Reya come to speak to us as well! This set me up extremely well to find my own opportunities and really shine when it came to writing applications for open days and vacation schemes at firms!

Our destinations

Finally, I will touch on where our graduates have ended up, leaving me with the confidence that I can go on to do the same. NCH students have been offered places in vacation schemes and/or training contracts in the majority of the Magic Circle already, with others going on to train in a wide range of firms. In addition, we’re given the tools to gain places at world-leading institutions for Master’s programmes. This is because we’re not only able to showcase ourselves as bright, academically curious students, but students who have been getting ready for their next steps since they started in their first year.

If you have any questions for our Law students, or if you want to know more about the Law degree at NCH, chat with our students on UniBuddy!

Rebecca Stewart

Law LLB

Hello all! Rebecca here, second year LLB student taking an enrichment in Psychology. I'm the Law Society President and work on the Student Union Bar, as well as creating social media content for the college. Please do ask if you have any questions about life at the college.