Apply to NCH directly now for 2018 entry Apply now

A Night in Soho

Rebecca Stewart | April 4, 2018

My first experience of London nightlife was exactly the one you see in the movies—neon lights and miniskirts, hipsters and drag queens. I was in fact one of the drag queens, dressed in my most 80s glamour gear much to the amusement of my more appropriately-dressed companions.

We went to Ku Bar, where the drinks were pricey and the bartenders, in their pastel-pink tank tops, were charming. The atmosphere was great: the place had a calm vibe you wouldn’t expect from one of Soho’s most popular gay bars, and there were people of all ages spending their night out there (we even spotted a couple old enough to be your grandparents). Britney blared on the TV screens and speakers, and I sipped Baileys on ice and conversed with strangers who were soon to be friends.

The evening continued on to G-A-Y. What an experience! Never had I seen so many mirror balls or so much pink in one room, or so many TV screens—all on which a 1980s Madonna performed her heart out. The room was so crowded with people that there was barely room to dance, so after a drink and several 90s bangers, we—the collective LGBTQ Society—escaped for some fresh air. People-watching in Soho at midnight makes for some great entertainment. We spotted men dowsed in more glitter than even I was, and a couple of holidaying Brazilian lads dressed head-to-toe in Versace.

The only negative of the evening is how high it’s set my standards! Can you really have a good night out without costume jewellery and cocktails? When you’re walking to Tottenham Court Road station in the early hours, wearing uncomfortable shoes that you can’t believe you survived a night in and enough glittery eyeshadow that every passer-by stares, you know you’ve had the best introduction to Soho that there is. My spirits were high and my heels higher that night as I realised I’d fallen in with a like-minded group of people, in an incredible university in one of the most exciting areas of London.

Rebecca Stewart

Law LLB

Hello all! Rebecca here, second year LLB student taking an enrichment in Psychology. I'm the Law Society President and work on the Student Union Bar, as well as creating social media content for the college. Please do ask if you have any questions about life at the college.