Applications open for 2019/2020 entry Apply now.

NCH leads London unis in NSS 2017

NCH London | August 9, 2017

We are delighted to announce that New College of the Humanities has achieved the highest score for undergraduate degree-level teaching for all of our key subjects (Economics, English, History, Law, Philosophy or Politics) in London, according to the National Student Survey (NSS 2017), published today.

NCH is the best in London according to NSS 2017

NCH exceeded the London members of the Russell Group in 26 out of 27 categories, achieving┬áthe top average scores across all four teaching metrics for these subjects. In addition, NCH achieved the top score in nine of the survey’s questions and the second highest score in seven.┬áNCH had the highest scores in the following categories:

• Staff are good at explaining things: 97.3%
  • Staff have made the subject interesting: 94.59%
  • The course is intellectually stimulating: 97.3%
  • Feedback on my work has been timely: 89.19%
  • I have received helpful comments on my work: 94.49%
  • I have been able to contact staff when I needed to: 97.3%
  • I have received sufficient advice and guidance in relation to my course: 91.89%
  • Good advice was available when I needed to make study choices on my course: 88.57%
  • I have been able to access course specific resources when I needed to: 91.67%

NCH had the second highest score in the following categories:

• My course challenged me to achieve my best work: 91.89%
  • The course is well-organised and running smoothly: 83.76%
  • The timetable works efficiently for me: 86.49%
  • I feel part of a community of students: 81.08%
  • I have had the right opportunities to work with other students as part of my course: 89.19%
  • I have had the right opportunities to feedback on my course: 89.19%
  • Overall I am satisfied with the quality of my course: 91.89

NCH is significantly above the UK average

In addition, NCH results were significantly higher than the average for the entire UK Higher Education sector in 25 out of 27 metrics. In many cases NCH achieved 10 or more percentage points higher than the UK and London average for all subject. You can see the full NCH results versus the entire UK sector and London here.

About the NSS 2017

Published on 9th August 2017, by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE), the NSS 2017 is an annual census of nearly half a million primarily undergraduate students across the UK. It runs across all publicly funded Higher Education Institutions in the UK, and Alternative Providers in England with specific course designation.

It is designed to enable prospective students to compare courses at different institutions when deciding what and where to study, through its results being made available through the Unistats website (which will be updated with the new results in September).

Read the full 2017 NSS results from the Higher Education Funding Council England (HEFCE).